Before you read anything…
*SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS* *SPOILERS*
So Pretty Little Liars is back and we’re on episode 11 of season six and boy, was I happy being back in the world of Rosewood and the Liars.
A few things that we’ve learnt about the characters first:
- The wine mom’s got out of the basement, but how?! No Ella to be seen anywhere though…
- Hanna is working as a fashion intern
- Spencer is in Washington DC as a lobbyist
- Aria is in Boston working for a publisher
- Emily is in California as a barista because college didn’t work for her
- Emily’s Dad died and now her mom has started seeing other people
- Alison is a teacher in Rosewood High
- Radley has become a hotel/bar (?!)
- Ashley Marin is running Radley
- Hanna is engaged to someone who isn’t Caleb
- Aria is in a relationship with someone who isn’t Ezra
- Ezra has become an alcoholic
- Spencer isn’t with Toby
- There is a ‘Brotherhood of Ex-Boyfriends’
- Charlotte is released from the hospital
- Mona is working in politics too (?!)
- Veronica Hastings is in politics now as well
- Did we see syringes and drugs fall out of Emily’s bag? I don’t know
- Charlotte was murdered
I can’t even keep up… So much was announced that I might have missed a couple of things out but it was a brilliant winter premiere episode. You feel like you’ve just fallen back into the lives of the characters that you know and love but you also feel a bit disconnected because so much has changed in the past 5 years.
It’s nice to see all of the familiar faces and it was mostly a happy and cheery episode which was nice. It was nice to see ‘drunk Spencer’ again and her exclaiming how much she loves the other 3 girls, it was nice to see them mostly laid back and (now they’re of the legal age to drink) getting drunk and suffering with mega hangovers the next morning.
During the winter premiere episode, it nicely paralleled the first couple of episodes of season one. The death of Charlotte reflects Allison’s “death” in the pilot episode and how the four girls are at the funeral. The girls turn around to see a mystery person walk through the door – in this instance, we now know that it’s Black Widow/Sara Harvey/Shower Harvey.
There’s the same credit sequence that we love (even though I heard a rumour that there was going to be a different theme song?) except now Allison’s in it which is good since it’s about time she made an appearance in the opening.
Also, can we talk about how good Spencer looks with bangs? All of the girls look so good and even though – in reality – no time has passed during filming, hair and make up have done a fantastic job of making the girls look more mature.
Even though all of our OTPs are no more, (Ezria, Spoby and Haleb) one of them have to get back together right? There’s something weird going on with Caleb and Spencer that I’m quite curious about but then we also see Hanna look at her engagement ring after she has a talk with Caleb. Is she second guessing her engagement?
Aria showed how much of a strong character that she is when she stood up for herself at the court hearing about if the hospital should release Charlotte or not. All the other girls lied to the judge about how safe they would feel if Charlotte got released but not Aria. Aria told the truth and just like Spencer said: “you are small but mighty”.
If I wrote about everything that I loved about this episode, it would be the longest article ever. But!! This was brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Everything was on point apart from Lorenzo still being in Rosewood?! Can’t he just leave? Also… Sara Harvey? Do we have to do this again? But I did no see Charlotte getting murdered coming. At all. I think that might be one bad thing to be honest. Couldn’t they keep her alive for a one more episode? I mean, she did just get let out of the hospital…
But no, bring on next Wednesday because I’m ready for my weekly dose of PLL.
What did you think of the winter premiere? Leave a comment below!